Hello everyone rainy season in BKK!
This blog is kind of a continuation of where we left off from last weeks blog about Simona Halep. Her challenges and where we asked the previous questions as to where in life have people faced [cultural] challenges. https://apfacademies.net/archives/13219.html
As I was reading my monthly subscription of TennisPro, I came across an article titled, “Coaching Teenage competitive players: Are you Asking the Right Questions?” Written by, Dr. Kevin Soden, an interesting section of his article regarding the topic of coaching style based on cultural experience got my attention.
“We all see life through our own eyes and are shaped by our backgrounds and life experiences, which are influenced by race, age, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and physical ability. It’s impossible to view life and others without these filters.” (p.14 Tennis Pro November/December 2017)
[Cultural] coaching style
Most coache’s base their coaching style on how they were individually treated by their own coach as juniors which is largely influenced by the culture of a particular country.
So what kind of Coaching styles’ are there?
- Autocratic: [Russia and Eastern European countries] The coach is dogmatic, intimidating, and authoritative over an individual or group.
- Democratic / Participative: [Australia and USA] Informative in a professional manner and open to feedback. Coaches listen to questions asked and search for solutions. Foster self-esteem through praise of technique and achievements.
- Laissez-Faire: A coach who has lost interest in what they are doing. Style proven to be largely ineffective.
(p.14 Tennis Pro November/December 2017)
So what kind of coaching style would I consider myself to fall under??? Honestly, I think a mixture of all  coaching styles. Interesting to ask about coaches in Asia, what kind of coaching style do many Asian countries use?
For information about APF or to join a free trial lesson visit:
- 目指せ中級レッスン18_高すぎる打点はスライスのサイドスピンで対応する 2020年10月26日
- 【PLクラス】大会結果 2020年10月21日
- 目指せ中級レッスン17_スライスは上のガットで打てば精度が上がる 2020年10月19日
- 目指せ中級レッスン16_スライスは速すぎないように気をつける 2020年10月12日
- ジュニア・アダルト向けテーマクラスを開催します！ 2020年10月11日
- 【試合練習会】JA・PPクラス 2020年10月08日
- 【PL PLB JA】大会結果。 2020年10月07日
- 目指せ中級レッスン15_スライスは低い打点が簡単 2020年09月28日
- アイリッシュパブ部を結成しました！ 2020年09月25日
- 目指せ中級レッスン14_スライスは左手で面を安定させる 2020年09月24日
- Written by George Kidera
- George Kidera has been coaching at APF Academies since April 2011. He had played tennis for the Bulldogs at Truman State University from 2000-2002. His role has been to promote and support all levels of the international tennis community at APF. "Coaching tennis is a wonderful experience and a great teaching tool to develop our next future leader."