Hello everyone rainy season in BKK!
This blog is kind of a continuation of where we left off from last weeks blog about Simona Halep. Her challenges and where we asked the previous questions as to where in life have people faced [cultural] challenges. https://apfacademies.net/archives/13219.html
As I was reading my monthly subscription of TennisPro, I came across an article titled, “Coaching Teenage competitive players: Are you Asking the Right Questions?” Written by, Dr. Kevin Soden, an interesting section of his article regarding the topic of coaching style based on cultural experience got my attention.
“We all see life through our own eyes and are shaped by our backgrounds and life experiences, which are influenced by race, age, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and physical ability. It’s impossible to view life and others without these filters.” (p.14 Tennis Pro November/December 2017)
[Cultural] coaching style
Most coache’s base their coaching style on how they were individually treated by their own coach as juniors which is largely influenced by the culture of a particular country.
So what kind of Coaching styles’ are there?
- Autocratic: [Russia and Eastern European countries] The coach is dogmatic, intimidating, and authoritative over an individual or group.
- Democratic / Participative: [Australia and USA] Informative in a professional manner and open to feedback. Coaches listen to questions asked and search for solutions. Foster self-esteem through praise of technique and achievements.
- Laissez-Faire: A coach who has lost interest in what they are doing. Style proven to be largely ineffective.
(p.14 Tennis Pro November/December 2017)
So what kind of coaching style would I consider myself to fall under??? Honestly, I think a mixture of all  coaching styles. Interesting to ask about coaches in Asia, what kind of coaching style do many Asian countries use?
For information about APF or to join a free trial lesson visit:
- 完売のお知らせ 2021年05月06日
- 【完売しました】３日間限定！お得な前売りチケットを販売します！ 2021年05月04日
- 目指せ中級レッスン42_サーブはどうすれば入るのか② 2021年05月03日
- 目指せ中級レッスン41_サーブはどうすれば入るのか① 2021年04月26日
- 目指せ中級レッスン40_スタンスを使い分ける⑩ 2021年04月22日
- APF tournament #5#6大会結果 2021年04月11日
- 特別イベント【スイング映像解析】フォームのクセを徹底検証！ 2021年04月09日
- 目指せ中級レッスン39_スタンスを使い分ける⑨ 2021年04月05日
- 【PLクラス・PPクラス】大会結果！ 2021年03月30日
- 目指せ中級レッスン38_スタンスを使い分ける⑧ 2021年03月29日
- Written by George Kidera
- George Kidera has been coaching at APF Academies since April 2011. He had played tennis for the Bulldogs at Truman State University from 2000-2002. His role has been to promote and support all levels of the international tennis community at APF. "Coaching tennis is a wonderful experience and a great teaching tool to develop our next future leader."