Hello everyone rainy season in BKK!
This blog is kind of a continuation of where we left off from last weeks blog about Simona Halep. Her challenges and where we asked the previous questions as to where in life have people faced [cultural] challenges. http://apfacademies.net/archives/13219.html
As I was reading my monthly subscription of TennisPro, I came across an article titled, “Coaching Teenage competitive players: Are you Asking the Right Questions?” Written by, Dr. Kevin Soden, an interesting section of his article regarding the topic of coaching style based on cultural experience got my attention.
“We all see life through our own eyes and are shaped by our backgrounds and life experiences, which are influenced by race, age, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and physical ability. It’s impossible to view life and others without these filters.” (p.14 Tennis Pro November/December 2017)
[Cultural] coaching style
Most coache’s base their coaching style on how they were individually treated by their own coach as juniors which is largely influenced by the culture of a particular country.
So what kind of Coaching styles’ are there?
- Autocratic: [Russia and Eastern European countries] The coach is dogmatic, intimidating, and authoritative over an individual or group.
- Democratic / Participative: [Australia and USA] Informative in a professional manner and open to feedback. Coaches listen to questions asked and search for solutions. Foster self-esteem through praise of technique and achievements.
- Laissez-Faire: A coach who has lost interest in what they are doing. Style proven to be largely ineffective.
(p.14 Tennis Pro November/December 2017)
So what kind of coaching style would I consider myself to fall under??? Honestly, I think a mixture of all  coaching styles. Interesting to ask about coaches in Asia, what kind of coaching style do many Asian countries use?
For information about APF or to join a free trial lesson visit:
- 【テニスカフェ】ポイント中のペアへの声がけで、より良いダブルスを目指そう!! 2018年09月20日
- 【トーナメント】ポイントが終わるまで構えは忘れずに!! 2018年09月18日
- 【テニス】効果的に使おう！縦のスイング、WINDMIL 2018年09月15日
- 【一時帰国】ご朱印巡りは楽しいな。 2018年09月11日
- 9月からプレイヤーズクラスを担当することになりました 2018年09月06日
- 【PLクラス】新しいメンバーの紹介!! 2018年09月04日
- 【一時帰国】コーチシフト変更のお知らせ 2018年08月28日
- 【とにかく入れ！】サーブを入れる3つコツ！ 2018年08月27日
- 【韓国遠征】無事、帰国しました。 2018年08月26日
- ジョージコーチ、残り1週間宜しくお願いします!! 2018年08月23日
- Written by George Kidera
- George Kidera has been coaching at APF Academies since April 2011. He had played tennis for the Bulldogs at Truman State University from 2000-2002. His role has been to promote and support all levels of the international tennis community at APF. "Coaching tennis is a wonderful experience and a great teaching tool to develop our next future leader."