Part of being a well balanced tennis player is having good defensive skills. I remember as a junior I grew up focusing on offense and having power, but not recalling how often we practiced defensive tactics. Here is another defensive tactical tip when the opponent hits an offensive down the line shot by either forehand or backhand.
Defend cross court effectively from an offensive down the line attack
- The diagram illustrates the defensive player on the bottom positioned in the center moving to the right to cover the aggressive down the line shot.
- The opponents position designated as a triangle hits an offensive down the line shot by either forehand or backhand.
- Aim the offensive down the line shot cross court to area A or B. Aiming to area B may allow you to convert the situation or increase the unforced error % by opponent. Area C would be avoided because the risk of the opponent hitting another offensive down the line.
Shot Selection: Windmill
- The type of shot we recommend using is a heavy forehand spin ball or what we call it at APF [Windmill]. Other places may call it the ‘Nadal shot’ or ‘hair-brushing shot’.
- If the shot is effective enough, you will be able to quickly turn the tide from defense to offense and force the opponent from offense quickly into defense.
- Please Note! This video demonstrates the type of shot selection ONLY.
The APF way is defense based offensive style of play
For more information and to join a free trial lesson visit:
- 【ジュニアテニス】早いうちから身につけておこう。戦術に欠かせないテクニック。 2018年07月12日
- 【トーナメント】斜め後ろに下がろう!! 2018年07月10日
- 【これで解決！】ボールの外側を打てれば？ 2018年07月09日
- 【PLクラス】優勝おめでとう!! 2018年07月05日
- 【ジュニアテニス】ストロークでエースを取るための大切なポイント-その3- 2018年07月05日
- [UNIQLO] Roger Federer Global Brand Ambassador 2018年07月04日
- PTT-ITF Junior Grade4 week2を観て来ました。 2018年07月03日
- 【ジュニアテニス】ストロークでエースを取るための大切なポイント-その2- 2018年06月28日
- 【PLクラス】新しいメンバーの紹介!! 2018年06月26日
- ITF G4 Bangkok期間にAPF ACADEMIESで練習 2018年06月22日
- Written by George Kidera
- George Kidera has been coaching at APF Academies since April 2011. He had played tennis for the Bulldogs at Truman State University from 2000-2002. His role has been to promote and support all levels of the international tennis community at APF. "Coaching tennis is a wonderful experience and a great teaching tool to develop our next future leader."